Friday, July 25, 2008

It's Poker Time!

Tomorrow is the 4th Annual Debbie Templeton Charity Poker Tournament. This year was the first year that I did not produce the entire tournament myself. In previous years I have planned and executed the entire event. Don't get me wrong, I've had help from friends and family, but for the most part I ran the show.

I scoured the earth for prizes; I went door-to-door to businesses to get sponsorships; I set up the Dealers & Tables; I researched and applied for the CA DOJ gaming license; I secured the location; I set up the caterer. I did it all.

So this year, the Santa Clarita Valley Jaycees formed a committee to help out. After all they are receiving 10% of the proceeds. And after all that is going on in my personal life right now, what better time to have a committee help out? Heck, I'm not even listed as the Event Chairperson this year. So let's see what I did this year:

I scoured the earth for prizes; I set up the Dealers & Tables; I researched and applied for the CA DOJ gaming license; I secured the location.

Sweet! I didn't have to go door-to-door for sponsorships and I didn't have to get the caterer. Problem is, I still had to get all the sponsors and we are having to pay for a caterer (which has been free or included in the location costs previously).

I think this will be the last year of the tournament as it stands. Next year, if we do it, it will be much smaller and have a different format. We will donate the proceeds straight to the charity we want without having to give up anything to other organizations.

If you'd like to play, visit www.bmcf.net/poker.

No comments: